Friday, February 4, 2011

Coconut Mango Rice



I made this rice last night for the knitting club at Lisa's house. I didn't really measure the ingredients, I like to experiment with my recipes. It actually turned out pretty delicious, so in order to give my girlfriends the recipe I had to recreate it again. For all you girls who love exotic flavors, I think you might really love this one, give it a try and let me know if you like it!

There is a couple of things you might want to know about the ingredients:

Coconut Milk:
There are several brands of coconut milk out there, I don't always buy the same one, but I always do try to buy the ones that don't have any additives. Some of them are thicker then others. This time I bought this particular brand, it seemed pretty thick and creamy so I used a bit less than I usually do to make the rice. Most times I use: 1 part rice : 1 part water: 1 part coconut milk. Anyway this time I used Aroy-D and it turned out great.

Chilies:
What about the red chilies??? Well I used the red chili peppers (Holland Red) because I think they look really pretty, but you can use green jalapeno peppers or any chili pepper you want.I do know that these Holland Red chilies are not as hot as the jalapenos, keep that in mind and just make sure to take out the seeds before you dice them, unless you like your rice really spicy.


Tajin:
Another ingredient that I used here is a chile-lime seasoning called Tajin, sold in latin american grocery stores. Familiar to all my Mexican friends some of you might not know what the heck I am talking about, so this it what it looks like. If you live in Toronto, you can buy it at Kengsinton Market or at el Market-tino.
Mangoes:
I used the large mangoes they sell at most supermarkets, not the small atalufo ones, I am not sure what these are called. Pick the ones that are green and hard, you will be surprised to see that they actually taste really good. Before I thought I had to pick the softer ones thinking that the green ones where not ripe enough, but na-a, just give these honeys a try. I used about 3 large ones, but If I were you I would get an extra one 'cause you will probably eat some of eat while you are peeling them. They are really yummy.

Coconut Sap Sugar:
Most of you have not heard about this type sugar. I use it because it tastes great and it is good for you. It is an all natural sweetener that tastes a bit like brown sugar but has all the natural goodness of coconut water. It is now considered to be one of the best natural sweeteners. It is made from 100% sweet watery sap that drips form cut flower buds of organically grown fresh coconuts. Coconut Sap Sugar is good for diabetics since it has a low glycemic index. And last but not least, I use it because my beloved son is allergic to sugar cane...more than enough reasons!
There are a few brands out there, this is the one I found at the health food store I went to:
Coconut Mango Rice:

For the Rice:


3 Cups of long grain rice (can use basmati of jasmine)

1 (400 ml)can of cocunut milk (I used Aroy- D brand)

4-5 cups of water

4 tsps curcuma or turmeric

2 tsps salt



For the mango mixture:


4 Cups of grated green mango (in the food processor)

1 cup of cooked lentils

2 tsps salt

3 tsps coconut sap sugar (can use brown sugar instead)

4 tsps mustard seeds

1 tsp curcuma or turmeric

4 red chiles de-seeded and minced

3 tps chile tajin

2 cups of chopped cashew nuts (roasted and salted)

1- 2 cups of cilantro.


Directions:

Rinse the rice well and drain it. Measure the coconut milk and add enough water to it so that it totals 6 cups of liquid.

Place the rice in a large pot (you will need one with a lid).

Add the coconut liquid, bring to a boil and add the curcuma and 2 tsps of salt.


Once it comes to a boil, bring the heat to low and cover. Let simmer covered for aproximately 35 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed.


While the rice is cooking peel the green mangoes and chop them up in the food processor trying not to over process them, you don't want to end up with a

mango pure.

On a medium sauce pan heat about a tsp of grape seed oil over medium heat and add the mustard seeds, turmeric,minced de-seeded chiles, sugar, tajin and salt. Mix well with a wooden spoon until fragrant (about a minute). Add the lentils and mix well.


Turn off the heat and add the mango. You don't want the mangoes to cook, just incorporate them well into the mixture.


Once the rice is cooked, turn off the heat and fluff with a fork to incorporate any coconut milk that might have accumulated on the sides or on top of the rice. Be careful not to mush the rice. At this point you might think that the rice

needs a bit more salt, not to worry!

Once you add the rest of the ingredients, the saltiness of the cashews, together with the tanginess and sweetness of the mango mixture will complement beautifully with the subtle nutty flavor of the coconut rice. Mix in the mango mixture and garnish with 2 cups of chopped salted cashews and chopped cilantro.

You might want to sprinkle with some extra tajin seasoning.

I used these quantities to feed my whole family for friday night dinner. I will be enough for about 12-15 people as a generous side dish. If you are making this dish for a smaller crowd you might want to cut the quantities it in half, if so you might have to adjust the time you cook the rice, other than that you are all good. Enjoy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment